Saturday, November 13, 2010

For the Womb Mates

I know we are often advised against "googling" questions, due to certain sources occasional lack of credibility.  Despite all the suggestions, I just went against that frequently stated recommendation.  So if you find the next few statistics to be a bit off-kilter, forgive me!  Here goes.  Apparently the odds in having twins are 1 in 33 -- 3%.  Another way to look at it is 1 in 80 births are twins.  Now praise my sweet Jesus above that my heart didn't just shatter upon reading that rather shocking statistic, because as you may know, I am really wishing (and hoping... and thinking... and praying... planning... and dreaming...) that my future husband and I might have twins one day.

I'm hoping so much so, in fact, that I've told my friends on numerous occasions if I do not have twins, I will simply adopt another child.  That way the two can just grow up like twins.  It doesn't matter if they don't look anything alike.  I have quite the imagination!

Perhaps my affinity for the "womb mates" comes from the fact that I myself am a twin.  It's true!  Courtney Kib and I were born a little over two decades ago, and she is undoubtedly one of my greatest earthly blessings.  I completely believe that the Lord blesses us with exactly what we need, and it never ceases to amaze me how dead-on He is.  (Obviously He's God, but still -- incredible.)

Look at what a cutie she is!  I almost wish I could have been older than her, so I could have watched her grow up.  When you're the same age, you don't necessarily observe your sibling mature, because you're maturing at the same time.  It's probably a good thing that I wasn't years older than her, because I would have probably spoiled her uncontrollably.

As I'm sure one can imagine, we have accumulated many hilarious stories from the past twenty years.  Courtney is undoubtedly the funny one between the two of us.  I was always the caretaker, motherly figure, and she was the adventurous one.  She always thought up the cool games we should play and took me on adventures through the creek behind our house.  I made her sit in a row with all of our dolls and pretend to be one of my classroom's students.  We have countless stories we could share.  But you know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.


Sisters are the greatest of friends.  Courtypoo knows everything about me.  She has seen me at my worst and my best.  We've laughed together, cried together.  We've laughed so hard we've cried.  She knows my fears -- ironically enough, we share many of the same fears.  We've played house, school, Lion King, superhero puppies, Barbie Queen of the Prom, MASH, and so many more.  We've watched You've Got Mail, Father of the Bride, Enchanted, and The Holiday more times than the majority of the human population would think possible.  We took each other's senior pictures.  She's encouraged me through some of the hardest days of my life.  

I'm sure there have been many days I've disappointed her and made her angry.  I can be a bit annoying on occasion.  Ask my roommates -- last night I dressed up like a babushka and went around our sorority house pretending to peddle Russian ornaments.  I'm what some people might like to refer to as a nerd.  But what can I say, I was just taking after my sweet sissy.  Look at that little Mother Teresa in the making -- so proud to call her my twinnypoo.

Since coming to college, we have both matured in so many ways.  We ended up going to different schools, which was challenging but definitely what the Lord had planned.  It has been so fun to see how the Lord has blessed us in such different ways in the past two and a half years.  Court has had the opportunity to direct numerous dancing/singing shows for her sorority and has been blessed with a wonderful boyfriend, whom she loves so, so much!  (Our fam loves him too, which is a necessity, obviously!)  And I have gotten the opportunity to be a part of a couple leadership positions on campus and have some of the greatest friends I could ever ask for.



As I was just looking through some of these old pictures from high school and beyond, I quickly became overwhelmed with sadness.  There have been so many memories the past two years that I wish Courtney and I could have shared together -- first college date parties, working at Kanakuk, random Friday nights in Norman, studying together at the library, running to get coffee between classes, going on walks before school, taking care of each other when we're feeling under the weather.  

I'm almost tearing up right now, because I wish with all of my heart that we would have been able to do these things together the past two years.  But it is so obvious that the Lord wanted us to be in separate places for these four years of our lives.  I think it is just difficult, because college has shaped so much of who I am, as it has her.  And I suppose I just wish we could have experienced all of the changes together.  

But I am so excited for the days far in the future, where our children will be best friends and we'll meet for coffee early in the mornings before work.  (Lord, please let us live in the same city later on in life...!!!)  I can't wait to meet her at our mommy and daddy's house just to do random things like help them prepare for a garage sale or have Sunday night dinners.  Ah!  And how fun it will be to take our families on trips together!  


Thank you, Jesus, for my precious sister who has a heart of gold and a mind of wisdom.  Thank you for her kindness, her forgiveness, her love.  Thank you for her many talents and her precious laugh.  I am so lucky to have not only a sister but friend who is as wonderful as she is.  Bless her with your joy, peace, and contentment for all of the days of her life!  May we continue to grow into the best versions of ourselves and be refined by the Holy Spirit.  Thank you for knowing exactly what we need and blessing us with such things.  Love you always and forever!  Amen.

Those little girls never knew how lucky they'd be!!!!

If I know what love is, it is because of you. ~Unknown

Bless you, my darling, and remember you are always in the heart - oh tucked so close there is no chance of escape - of your sister.  ~Katherine Mansfield

To the outside world we all grow old.  But not to brothers and sisters.  We know each other as we always were.  We know each other's hearts.  We share private family jokes.  We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys.  We live outside the touch of time.  ~Clara Ortega

She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities.  She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway.  She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark.  She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink.  ~Barbara Alpert

Best Friends Forever

No comments:

Post a Comment